The Easiest Delicata Squash Soup
Need a quick, nutritious, and savory meal in minutes? Using Delicata squash helps this recipe come together in no time!
- 3 delicata squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place the squash, cut sides down, in a baking dish. Add 1/8 inch water in baking dish, cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until onion is softened and translucent.
- Scoop the flesh out, and chop the squash into large chunks. Add the stock and heavy cream. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor (work in batches). Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Top with your favorite mix ins! A swirl of cream, a drizzle of olive oil, red pepper flakes, and toasted pumpkin seeds are some of our favorites. Enjoy!
Tip: if you are going for a more rustic consistency, no need to peel the squash - the skin is edible and should be soft enough to blend in. For the smoothest consistency, peel fully.