As you know, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important. Here are 10 quick tips to help you and your family create healthy habits for every day.
- Eat all foods in moderation.
- One serving size of fruits or vegetables is about half a cup.
- Eat at least five or more fruits and vegetables everyday.
- Fruits and vegetables come in many different colors. Think of a rainbow and try to eat all the colors every day (yellow, orange, red, green, blue/purple and even white).
- Be sure to wash all of your fruits and vegetables before eating them.
- Turn off the TV during meals. Experts report that people tend to overeat while watching television.
- Encourage exercise every day. The National Association for Sports and Physical Education recommends that school-age children get 60 minutes or more of physical activity daily. This can be broken down throughout the day.
- Allow time for free play. Kids can burn more calories and enjoy physical activity when it’s left up to them. Typically kids won’t mind daily doses of fitness, as long as it’s fun.
- Avoid periods of inactivity of two hours or more.
- Make sure everyone gets plenty of sleep, especially the kids. Routine bedtime and naps are good for everybody!