Delicata Squash Au Gratin
Delicata Squash Au Gratin with Carrots and Onions
With Thanksgiving around the corner, you might be looking for a great Winter Squash Dish! While keeping in mind the traditional foods of Thanksgiving, this twist on Au Gratin Potatoes is a great alternative- it also tasted and presents itself beautifully!
- 2 medium-sized delicata squash, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Bread Crumbs (optional)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare the Vegetables:
- Bake the Delicata Squash, just enough to make it tender- then deseed, and thinly slice the delicata squash.
- Peel and thinly slice the carrots.
- In a greased baking dish, layer your vegetables. Bake until you see the vegetables start to soften, or even brown.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour to create a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes until it's lightly golden.
- Gradually whisk in the heavy cream, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Once the mixture thickens, add the shredded cheddar and Gruyere cheeses. Stir until the cheeses are melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Season the cheese sauce with salt, black pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Pour the Cheese Sauce over the Veggies:
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the vegetables are tender, feel free to add bread crumbs for extra texture and taste prior to baking.
- Remove the au gratin from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley before serving.
Enjoy this flavorful and comforting Delicata Squash Au Gratin with Carrots and Onions as a side dish to complement your meal!